The JIEP's Fifth Biennial Conference
Balancing National Development and Environmental Protection
June 6 –8, 2011
The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, Kingston Jamaica
The JIEP 5th Biennial Conference on the Environment aims to provide a forum to examine and discuss the issues that impact national development and the sustainable use of natural resources. The conference will highlight solutions to the "development/conservation dilemma" with a view to raising public awareness and assisting in changing attitudes in order to encourage positive actions.
Paper and poster presentations will be made in the following areas:
- NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- National goals, education, health, security, economic development, energy, communication, governance etc.
- ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AFFECTING NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Land use, use of environment/natural resources, hazards and risks, climate change adaptation etc.
- ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AND PROTECTION
- Protected areas, heritage conservation, culture, threats to environmental management/protection
- ACHIEVING THE BALANCE
- Policy/sector plans/laws, national strategies, development challenges, international competitiveness, governance structure, monitoring and evaluation.
This event is being held in collaboration with the JCDT Green Expo, June 10 - 12, 2011, during National Environmental Awareness Week (June 5 - 12).
Activities for the week:
- Sunday June 5: Church Service
- Monday June 6 - Tuesday June 7: Presentation of papers at JIEP Conference
- Thursday June 10 - Friday June 12: Green EXPO.
For further information and/or submissions to the conference committee, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related Conference Links:
- Promotional conference information (.pdf)...
- Click here for conference flyer...
- Interview with ECCO Magazine...
- National Environment Awareness Week calendar of events (.pdf)...
- Conference Programme...
- Jamaica Observer article...